Let's Help Each Other Out!

This is a place for creative writing teachers to share idea to be come better teachers.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Imagination and Fantasy

Today we did in creative writing this exercise to stimulate the image making capacity of the brain and to play with non-realistic modes of writing. I kept referencing Harry Potter.

Because my exercise is an adaptation of a meditation technique and borrows some Hindu notions, I got a few strange looks. 

One class really got into it.  The other class was rather suspicious.  I'm always a bit surprised since meditation techniques are used by football teams to get ready for games.

It would take too many pages to explain the technique here, but many students did generate some very arresting lines using it.

I use the old 19th century faculty psychology early in the semester to talk about creative writing--will, memory, imagination, emotion, the senses.

No comments:

Post a Comment