Let's Help Each Other Out!

This is a place for creative writing teachers to share idea to be come better teachers.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Creative Writing and Philosphy

I like to read philosphy and theology. I read both because I enjoy them. Do they benefit a creative writer's work or damage it?

Are you, as a result, liable to end up preaching too much, as sometimes happens in a DH Lawrence novel? I get philosophy majors at times in creative writing classes who can't make the switch. Some seem to see creative writing as a place to write philosophy without having to submit to the intellectual rigor demanded by the academic discipline.


I personally think that all reading--especially reading in science, history, and pyschology--can inform a creative writer's work and make it better.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment